Sunday, July 22, 2018 06:44 AM
Travel          Hotels Hotels         Tours Tours         Car Rental Cars         Events Events         Flights Flights         Cruises Cruises         Events Refer
Business Name, Category, Keywords
City Name or Zip Code ex: Los Angeles, CA

About Stouffville

Stouffville, Ontario

 

 

 

 

Stouffville (/ˈstvɪl/) is the primary urban area within the town of Whitchurch–StouffvilleOntario,Canada. It is centred at the intersection of Main Street, Mill Street and Market Street. Between 2006 and 2011, the population of the Community of Stouffville grew 100.5% from 12,411 to 24,886, or from 51% to 66% of the total population of the larger Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville.

 

 

 

 

 

History 

 

 


Founded in 1804 by Abraham Stouffer, the hamlet was originally named Stoufferville. Stouffer built a sawmill and grist-mill on the banks of Duffin's Creek in the 1820s. The community name was shortened to Stouffville when its first post office opened in 1832.

In 1877, Stouffville became an incorporated village. On January 1, 1971, the Village of Stouffville amalgamated with Whitchurch Township and was designated a community within the larger town of Whitchurch–Stouffville; with amalgamation, the boundary of the town was also moved four farm lots south of the original boundary of Main Street (the land was formerly a part of Markham Township). The population of urban Stouffville in 1971 was 5,036.

In 2003, a large 16th century Huron village was discovered in Stouffville during land development; approximately 2000 people once inhabited the site (Mantle Site), which included a palisade and more than 80 longhouses, yielding tens of thousands of artifacts.


 

 

 

 

Geography 

 

 

 


Urban Stouffville is approximately 4.5 km long, stretching from the York-Durham Line to Highway 48, and approximately 2.7 km wide with development north and south of Main Street. Stouffville is bounded by farmland and a golf course. The community is located on the Oak Ridges Moraineand the Rouge River watershed.

 

 

 

 

Growth 

 

 

 


With connection to a massive new sewage system (also known as the Big Pipe) and a water pipe from Lake Ontario, urban Stouffville began to grow rapidly after 2005. The first of the new subdivisions were south of Main Street along Hoover Park Drive (Wheler's Mill and Wheler's on Mainsubdivisions), and north of Main Street along Millard Street west of Ninth Line.

In 2008, construction began to widen Stouffville Road / Main Street from two lanes to four lanes, from Ninth Line to the edge of urban Stouffville atHighway 48 (the community of Ringwood), and further to McCowan Road. Construction was completed in June 2010. Stouffville Road has since been widened up to Highway 404.

 

 

 

 

 

 

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stouffville,_Ontario

Welcome to Wowcity fellow Canadians!
The Canadian Wowcity is a web-based platform for local business search, ideas and expression, a resource of opportunities, and a network of inspirational young people and their projects.

2,941 members from Canada
394 members visited Canada
43 members online from Canada




Bookmark and Share